The Milky Way Project Talk

Collection: Examples of Galaxies

by ttfnrob

To help people who want to know what galaxies look like in these images - here are some examples. NOTE: These are objects that MAY contain galaxies. These objects have not been confirmed.

Tags

Comments

• Paul_Meli by Paul_Meli

definite galaxies on all of the above

Posted

• JasonJason by JasonJason

Where are the galaxies in the images?

Posted

• kiaashour by kiaashour

shit

Posted

• txguy by txguy

Someone needs to create an authoritative narrative response to many issues raised on this page. Then post here a link to that response.

Posted

• Tyler_Reynolds by Tyler_Reynolds

I can see the objects in question. Their proportion is definitely consistent with that of a galaxy.

Posted

• the3rd by the3rd

what are the random lines all over? please answer.

Posted

• Fergie by Fergie

Most look like streaks, fat in the center, becoming thinner on ends. Note top pic, green streak about inch from center, on bottom margin.

Posted

• Fergie by Fergie

Most look like ovals Ø, fat in the center, becoming thinner on edges. Note top pic, green streak about inch from center, on bottom margin.

Posted

• justguessing by justguessing

is every bright dot a galaxy?

Posted

• rmcshane by rmcshane

I'm with Famdirkes on this - would be helpful to get a steer.

Posted

• asaguiar by asaguiar

By using screen magnifier, the number of them grows yet larger. BTW, in criteria, extensions are fainter and thinner than "nucleus".

Posted

• asaguiar by asaguiar

However, using those criteria it seems to exist a lot of them. Is this ok?

Posted

• asaguiar by asaguiar

Have used these criteria to mark as a galaxy: small; faint; any color; 1+ straight or curved extensions never as wide as "nucleus". ok?

Posted

• astro_tom by astro_tom

Please let me know if I am right on this. thank you.

Posted

• astro_tom by astro_tom

Photo 2: right side centre, below white star with pink ring. it is a small green dash. Photo 3: left side centre midway centre and top.

Posted

• astro_tom by astro_tom

I can see them now. The galaxies appear to be short lines (green, yellow, or white). Photo 1: bottom centre right,just below wht/pnk star.

Posted

• Helice by Helice

It would be nice to see examples of galaxies that aren't edge-on to the camera as well.

Posted

• Jaredwg by Jaredwg

I can see them in all of them. They look like this slithers as a galaxy seen edge on is thin.

Posted

• jim_vankirk by jim_vankirk

My money is on the tiny slivers, which would be galaxies seen edgewise.

Posted

• Famdirkes by Famdirkes

It would be helpful in these photos if you could highlight the area where the galexy is. I believe I see it on the first photo, but the others are small and hard to distinguish.

Posted

• chairstar by chairstar

are the galaxies you say are in these photos, the white dots, with the fuzzy red around the outside? If so, I missed many in my classifying

Posted

• avw by avw

I would believe, in my ignorance, that photos three and five are ideal.

Posted

Board Discussions

Chat

Science

• Galaxy color

6 posts / participants

Last post January 13, 2012 1:15 PM by the3rd

• Galaxy or not?

4 posts / participants

Last post January 16, 2012 5:06 PM by shanehunter

Help