The Milky Way Project Talk

Rings of stars

• ShibbyUK by ShibbyUK

I've noticed some rings of stars. I'm wondering if these are just random chance distributions or whether there is an underlying cause that produces such phenomena?

For example, I have tagged 2 in this image:
    http://talk.milkywayproject.org/objects/AMW0000zc4

Posted

• kirbyjp by kirbyjp in response to ShibbyUK's comment.

I have noticed the same ring phenomenon in many photos. I wondered if the green bubble/green knots were a supposed indication of areas of star formation, then if follows we should see strands of stars completing a ring or partial ring. Dunno, maybe the scientist are not looking for these to be identified. If we knew distance of stars, it would be easier to tell if a semi-circle of stars were formed together.

Posted

• pablomanuk by pablomanuk

I have also seen such rings of stars and have been flagging them either as other, or as a star cluster.
    I think its good to still flag anything you see in some way, just in case it furns out to be of significance etc.

Posted

• Eternal7 by Eternal7

Ah, I just started a discussion about "pearl necklaces of the cosmos" which is basically related to this. Good to know others are spotting this too. 😃

Posted

• PattyD by PattyD

Well, the way that stars form in clusters, the first ones have the opportunity to become the largest and then affect the environment with their stellar wind, which can either starve other protostars or push material to the periphery of the first star's bubble. Not surprising to see rings of stars.

Posted

• chairstar by chairstar

I've also had them. Like Pablomanuk, I've marked them as cluster.

Posted

• alenvrlazi by alenvrlazi

I think this rings of stars are definitely connected with the way stars are formed in bubbles so we should have this category as a separate option under interesting objects.

Posted

• ebressert by ebressert

The ring of stars noted by everyone here could be many things as several suggested on this thread: stellar associations (more likely), clusters (less likely), or chance alignments of stars in the field. When we're looking into the Galactic Plane in the infrared, we are peering through much of the dust that blocks light from reaching us in the optical band. Hence, we can see much further than ever before, more than 10,000 light years easily. This implies that chance alignments can happen frequently.

The red objects that ShibbyUK pointed are suspicious though, since their colours are similar (very red). This could possibly mean that the stars are associated with one another as being of the same age, but we are not sure due to distance issues (stars being tens of light years away from one another). These type of objects will definitely require a followup. Thanks for finding this! Clusters and stellar associations are rare objects, so the more that are found really helps!

-Eli Bressert

Posted