The Milky Way Project Talk

Pearl necklaces of the cosmos.

• Eternal7 by Eternal7

I love when I find stars that line up just perfectly showing a chain like a piece of a pearl necklace. I can only gather if these stars are in similar distance to each other that they formed from a strand of green knots over a long period of time- just like we are marking. Is there a particular name for stars that line up like this? Or is it just a random occurrence with no distinct attribute?

Posted

• Eternal7 by Eternal7

I just saw another discussion called "Rings of Stars" which is basically what I'm talking about. 😃

Posted

• kirbyjp by kirbyjp in response to Eternal7's comment.

still trying to find the ring of stars discussion, the boards are a little tricky to search/navigate. That said Eternal7, your question about distances went exactly to the point I was looking for, and to take it a step further, are bubbles actually forming rings or semi rings of stars? That would seem significant, and should be captured were it the case.

Posted

• PattyD by PattyD

Stars form in condensing clouds of dust and gas (hydrogen mostly). When a proto star ignites, its stellar wind starts flowing outward and can either starve other proto stars that are also forming or condense the material in the cloud outward in a bubble where other new stars can form. So "the strings of pearls" that we see are natural formations of the star forming process. Most stars are born in clusters. The size and density of the cloud of dust and gas boggles my mind.

Posted