The Milky Way Project Talk

the fabrc of the galaxy

• KhalilaRedBird by KhalilaRedBird

It looks to me like the standard background "substance" of the galaxy consists of star-spangled sky with lumps of dark nebulae scattered throughout like raisins in dough. Dark nebulae seem to oblate spheroids or spheres, so that in cross section we see them as circles or ellipses. Where dark nebulae surface (smooth) meets starrysky, stars form so that the dark nebulae are outlined in tiny stars as we see them. Sometimes we can see multiple rows of stars, as if we're seeing contour lines on the narrower cross sections which are closer to us.

The green and red we see flows around the dark nebulae, which also impede expanding bubbles.

The big 6-rayed star complexes resemble telescope/camera artifacts, but I wonder if they could be the result of a star being surrounded by 6 dark nebulae that constrain its outward radiation into the rays.

I started this collection to investigate all the ways the smooth raisins in the dough of space show up.

Posted

• avw by avw

I agree with the lines of stars. One could almost string them together, and I have traced them with the pointer. My thoughts were that the stars were affected by varying gravitational forces.
    avw

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

Its all Gas - the images show it at different colors (red = cool, Green = Hot, yellow = Hottest?), nebula (which is really rare to see) is dust that IS NOT ILLUMINATED! The only way to see it is when it is between us and a well lit source. They can show up better in these IR images that in Visual light. YES. Unfortunately an absence of stars or gas does not mean there is a nebula there. However a sudden cessation of stars MAY mean there is a nebula. When the gas and the dust of the nebula are actually in contact creates the most beautiful images in my opinion.

Hate to say it but the points around stars ARE artifacts of the imaging. Notice it only happens with the brighter stars. Just as there are no straight lines in the sky nebula do not congregate around stars, matter of fact the solar winds would push it away if it did get that near.

Posted