The Milky Way Project Talk

Supernova Remnants?

• JLConawayII by JLConawayII

I'm revisiting this image since it's been bugging me for awhile. Observe the red ring in lower center of the image:
    AMW00010r1

I'm just venturing a guess that this is a supernova remnant or other related phenomenon. So, two questions: 1)how can we better identify such phenomena vs normal bubbles, and 2)how shall we call them once we've identified them? I called this one as a bubble, even though it's different from a "normal" bubble. Should we instead call them as an unknown?

Posted

• Starsheriff by Starsheriff

Hi
    i would say its an unknown object. I think because the given categories doesnt match to it. And i think you have already identify it as not a normal bubble you cant do it even better. Now the science team can wrack their brains how we can call it and where does it come from.

Howerver the very round shape is impressing also i would say its a planetary nebulae.
    read more about it:
    Your text to link here...

Posted

• Helice by Helice

I figure that as long as we classify it as SOMETHING, be it circle or object, we've done something, and it's better than nothing! If we happen to bring massive confusion to the science team then they'll know how to tweak the system to get logical results.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

Yes, this looks like a supernova remnant to me. We decided that asking people to distinguish these rom 'normal' bubbles might just get confusing, so decided that we could easily picked them out later using their colour. Also we then get a list of possible supernova remnants.

Posted

• JLConawayII by JLConawayII

So your expectation then is that people will still identify them as bubbles. That's helpful, thank you for the response.

Posted

• Feylin by Feylin

Ow thanks! I also found one that seemed like a supernova remnant, exactly like this one, but also one much alike with a bright object, possebly a star, in the center of the ring. I've marked both of them as unknown.
    But maybe its possible to add more points of interest? Since I see many interesting things and then I haven't got a clue... tag or not tag 😕 (I don't want to burry scientists under useless data either... maybe I've just overreacting by seeing something very usual...) Tough I understand it makes everything more confusing, so maybe a thread with pictures of "imporant" things is an idea too. Then we know at least what is special too.

Posted