The Milky Way Project Talk

General Chat

• Kerry_Wallis by Kerry_Wallis

Hi all,

I seem to have found myself hanging around these boards quite a lot. I hope people arn't getting a little sick of seeing me comment! I think its safe to say I don't know anything about anything, but its nice to discuss the wonderful pictures we see.

I didn't see a general chat thread and thought I would open one so the regular posters could maybe get to know each other a little, and make this more of a social interaction 😃

So to start the ball rolling...

Does anyone else keep finding themselves about 3 inches from the screen trying to look at every pixel in detail?

Posted

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

yeah i do that sometimes. oh and im not sick of you. keep on posting!

Posted

• Kerry_Wallis by Kerry_Wallis

Thanks! Was starting to wonder if I had seen a tumble-weed rolling by!

What do you like most about this project?

I was thinking I really would like to learn more but can't afford a course. Wonder what my next step should be?

Posted

• mirnafa by mirnafa

Hi I am new! Who can help me to learn how to classify the images?

Posted

• KhalilaRedBird by KhalilaRedBird

Hi. I'm on nearly every day -- it gets habit-forming. I am finding new things all the time and have mapped over 2000 objects, written lots of comments. To learn more, you have to start with the tutorial. There are blogs that go into some of the details. Also looking at the comment threads that have more than one person posting. I don't get 3 inches from the screen -- I just magnify the image a bit -- to the pixel level, if I think it will help. Afterwards, when I have posted (using DISCUSS) I get the coordinates of the object and look it up with the GLIMPSE viewer http://www.alienearths.org/ so I can see it in context of the whole Milky Way. That helps make a little more sense of what i was seeing.

Posted