The Milky Way Project Talk

Where IS Everybody!?!?

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

On my first day of being a part of the milkywayproject, there were dozens of members online with me. Now, fast forward a few months, and there are at most only 3-4 members on when I am (I live on the East coast of the U.S.A.). Time zones are not the problem here, so why is this place almost like a ghost town?

Posted

• sdewitt by sdewitt

Lack of support from science team would be my guess... And difficult to get discussions going

Posted

• Ken_Koester by Ken_Koester

The blogs are more recent; they indicate that the team is prepping a phase 2 project (& trying to reduce the observations we have all been making). right now, Icehunters is the hot project, so a lot of people have probably gravitated to it.

Snarkhunter

Posted

• broomrider1970 by broomrider1970

I've been away from all PC activity really. I've pretty much buried myself in taking care of my plants and life in general. 😄 Just popped in tonight to spend a bit of time finding bubbles.

~Tina

Posted

• legoryan717 by legoryan717

i was asking the same question!

Posted

It irritates me that nobody is really here anymore(at least from what I can see). I worry that someone will make some sort of huge find or discovery, and there will be nobody here to see it and it will be forgotten until some poor dude who has to go through all of the data 15,000,000 years from now finds it. I guess I'm trying to say that the lack of support worries me...

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

Hi all - we've been really busy finalising the first paper for the project, which will be accepted into a journal in the next few weeks. We're planning a bunch of follow-up work based on the objects you've found and tagged, including those in the "other interesting" categories. I recently addressed some of your questions in a few blog posts: Zooming and drawing (http://blogs.zooniverse.org/mwp/2011/11/18/zooming-and-drawing/), There is No Right and Wrong (http://blogs.zooniverse.org/mwp/2011/11/21/284/) and Bok Globules and Herbig Haro objects (http://blogs.zooniverse.org/mwp/2011/11/17/bok-globules-and-herbig-haro-objects/). So we are paying attention to what is being posted and said here, and we're really grateful for all the discussion.

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

Everybody is looking for 'SCIENCE' but they forget the beauty. Don't get me wrong I'm a number cruncher right up there with the best, but the WHY ... Why do I care?" ... comes from seeing the beauty that this site shows.

I AM disappointed that the people behind the scenes choose to be quiet and never contribute to these discussions,** THAT more than public apathy** has contributed to why you find no one here. Shame on them.

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

After posting my last comment I saw that it was at the bottom of the page instead of at the top (NEW COMMENTS AT TOP OF PAGE - that's the norm). SO this page has the oldest at top and newest at the bottom. (webmaster screwed up) but thats okay. because I responded to a message (really a complaint) that was still on the main page so must have been recent ... right? Oh.. its was 5 months old! 7 comments in 5 months. So sad. 'galaxywanderer' I feel for you too.

Posted

@skendrew: Thanks for the update. nice to know that at least some of the powers-that-be are still here. Oh and I don't mean to be a pest, but I found a double sided jet plume a while backjet plume discussion Ttfnrob promised to look into it, but I never got any updates as to what it really was. Could you look it over and tell me what you think?
    @Nobias: It is terrible that this place is like a ghost town, but mabye the journal will help get this invaluable project back on the map!!!

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

@galaxywanderer I had a look at it and posted a response to the thread. I did a search around it and there's nothing unremarkable known in that region. Looking closer at the images in the different Spitzer channels what you see as "jets" is actually quite well resolved into 4 point-like objects. So I think it's just a chance alignment of stars.... At least that's the best guess I can make based on the data that are available. Keep looking around though 😉

Posted

• Fezman92 by Fezman92

I noticed that there aren't that many replies to anything at all. I've asked about a few things that have not been answered and I would like to know what they are.

Posted