The Milky Way Project Talk

Bug/Problems with the New Milky Way Project

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

WE've updated the site - and Talk. Here's a place to let us know if you're having trouble. We'll see what we can do to help πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• SusannaG by SusannaG

I couldn't get one thing to work in the "how to mark things" guide, the guide went on to the next thing, and then to "I'm done," and I can't get back to any of it, and therefore am not going to be marking anything as I don't know how. A pity, as I would love to help out.

Posted

• chelseanr by chelseanr

I can't seem to remain logged in or log back in even though my zooniverse account is staying logged in.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to SusannaG's comment.

Maybe it is a browser thing . Zooniverse projects don't work well with IE. Try Firefox or Chrome.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

I had a hard time logging on. It kept rejecting my login attempts as if I had the wrong password (other zooniverse projects running at the same time had no such problem). After repeated attempts, I hit F5 (refresh) and it showed I was logged in!
    When I tried to go to discuss, I got a blank screen and when I hit the back arrow, I was logged out and had the same problems logging in again!
    Using Opera on Win7 pro 32 bit.

I would like to see more examples of the objects to be identified!

I would like to see 'keyboard shortcuts' for all the buttons. Hate to have to use the mouse to press buttons. Would rather use mouse only for clicks and drags on images.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to SusannaG's comment.

I'll see if we can get a button added to let you restart /redo the tutorial.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to N5bz's comment.

Opera on Windows 7 may not be compatible with our login system, sorry. Which version of Opera are you using? I'll see if we can work it out.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to chelseanr's comment.

Sorry you're having trouble. If you can let me know what browser and operating system you're using, I can see if we can fix that for you.

Posted

• SusannaG by SusannaG

I am using Firefox.

A restart button for the tutorial would be wonderful, thank you.

Posted

• chelseanr by chelseanr in response to ttfnrob's comment.

Hi, it seems like if I try and go their via the zooniverse page it won't remain logged in or allow me to log in, but if I go to milkywayproject.org it logs in just fine. I'm using chrome fyi.

Posted

• Helice by Helice

The keyboard commands aren't working (except for shift-enter)!

Posted

• scamp25 by scamp25

Hello, great project. Any plans to support Android tablets?

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to scamp25's comment.

What tablet are you using? We've tested with some Android devices.

Posted

• scamp25 by scamp25

Hi,
    I"m using a Google nexus 10 running Android 4.4.2. When I go to classify, the image is magnified beyond the edges of the screen and I'm not able to scroll to view the full image; any attempting to swipe the image to move the image just drops on whatever graphic I currently have selected.
    However, checking it just now it seems to be working much better, so perhaps only a temporary hiccup, though still difficult to adjust a graphic once placed on the image.
    Thanks for following up.

Posted

• heracleum by heracleum

Possible bug in the New Milky Way project when you mark more than one thing as "Object"?
    To reproduce:

• Draw first object and set its type to "Artifact"
    • Draw second object and set its type to "Pillars"
    • Reselect first object - it redisplays the 4 radio buttons, but none of them are selected. Has the object lost its type?
    • Note that, if at this point you reselect the second object, its "Pillars" radio button will be shown as selected but it looks like the first object has lost its type

This is reproducible on Firefox and Chrome

Posted

Thanks for the bug report - we will investigate.

Posted

• rustland by rustland

I am unable to make any entries when logged in using either safari or chrome I just get the circulating dots. If I do not log in I can usually make entries

Posted

• rustland by rustland

Thanks, the bug seems to have been cured

Posted

• rustland by rustland

the bug is back, also the dotted line stays after the tutorial

Posted

• etoile8 by etoile8

Just to let you know - during this session, I have seen a number of images repeated 3 or 4 times. So am logging out now and will try to classify again later.

Posted

• L82 by L82

Hi everyone,
    I'm starting to get a little bit annoyed... the same images keeps coming back over and over again. Somtimes they are the exact same and somtimes it is the same image but in a different zoom... why? feel like waste of time.

Regards
    L82

Posted

• bluesonthru by bluesonthru

if i use the OBJECT classification the screen freezes and won't move onto the next image - have to log out and start again log in etc - I give up

Posted

• Beanpole by Beanpole

I am also unable to make any entries when logged in using chrome. I just get the circulating dots.

Posted

• PILIRANO by PILIRANO

Lo siento, mi inglΓ©s no es muy bueno, espero que alguien pueda entenderme en castellano...Mi problema es que desde hace un par de dΓ­as, no puedo clasificar las imΓ‘genes, sencillamente porque...no aparece ninguna cuando lo intento.
    Thank you, I hope youΒ΄ll fix this problem

Posted

• JCoop by JCoop

Started getting the swirling dots bug yesterday and still cannot classify today. Using Firefox 26.0 on Windows 7 Pro V6.1 Build 7601 SP 1

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I've pm-ed the Powers that Be. Hope to get an answer soon ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Star_Dancer by Star_Dancer

On getting to the classification site, my username was still up. However, the only thing I get on my screen is the swirling star pattern seen between images. Shut down and started over, signed out and in a few times, all with no luck.

Posted

• Mr_Ripping_Air by Mr_Ripping_Air in response to Star Dancer's comment.

I'm getting the same thing, just a bunch of swirling circles and I can't move past the tutorial. Tried logging off and back in a few times and redoing the tutorial, same result though, just swirling circles and can't move on.

Posted

• Lambuel by Lambuel

I'm stuck after the tutorial too

Posted

• Kirbky by Kirbky

Hiya

I think there's a lot of problems with the tablet/mobile versions of these sites πŸ˜ƒ
    They seem to be running very slow when loading images, and it's also very choppy.. However I didn't have any problems whilst doing the tutorial πŸ˜„

Posted

• QuasarZap by QuasarZap

Please fix the glitch after the tutorial. I've done it several times now and when I'm done a "rotating" galaxy appears in the center of the image I've edited and I can't do anything after that.

Posted

• arcadebobs by arcadebobs

Having trouble progressing after the tutorial as well. I try to continue and I just get the swirling dots, and the same thing happens when I try to refresh or sign out. I'm using Chrome.

Posted

• scottxsmith by scottxsmith

its because ifls posted a link to this site and i think it crashed it

Posted

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Basically the project was starting to run out of data! Last night the popular Facebook site I F***ing Love Science pointed at us and finished us off completely. We are preparing more data so will return in the next few weeks. In the meantime I'll try and get some images up for classification all the same - if people just enjoy them πŸ˜ƒ

Read about it on the blog too: http://blog.milkywayproject.org/2014/01/29/the-project-is-complete-but-not-for-long/

Posted

• mrjackoboy by mrjackoboy

oh darn it! I was totally hooked spending a few hours a day on it ~ look forward to more data in a few weeks

Posted

• wbtr1007 by wbtr1007

Yeah 😦 I couldn't even get past the tutorial yesterday. Disappointed, but looking forward to actually getting to try it out soon!

Posted

Maybe you can try out one of the other Zooniverse projects (just untill MWP goes live again ! πŸ˜„ )

Posted

• JCoop by JCoop

Some other project????? Heretic! Just kidding.... Elisabeth, thanks for being our conduit between us and the science team. We know they are terribly busy analyzing our findings. The bits of insight you get from them and feed to us are what keeps us going. Yeah, that's probably important! Citizen Scientists, as you call us, need to know what we're finding. We want to be a part of discovery. Such an important word, that, "Discovery". That's why we do this, for hours, unpaid and undemanding of anything - our names aren't on the cover page of published results. But we don't care. We want to be a part of "discovery". Thank you for the opportunity, through technology, to participate.

Posted

It's back: new data is in right now!

Posted

• heracleum by heracleum

It's back! Yayyyyyyyyyy!

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

I am using windows 7 pro , 64 bit and using Firefox browser latest version 27.0.1and using UTF 8 coding .
    I hope this might help as I do not have any problems at all across all of Zoonivers's projects and I have done 13 projects .

Posted

• jbosten by jbosten

I don't really get what an Ego is.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to jbosten's comment.

Here's a really big EGO ! It's the green thing top left.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to jbosten's comment.

I think that's part of the reason we're looking for them - nobody really gets them yet!

Posted

• stargazer2773 by stargazer2773

Hey guys and gals! First I want to say awesome job on the MilkyWay project upgrade. However, the issues I seem to be having is

1. When I zoom in with Mozilla to get a better view I cannot seem to tag anything. I have to zoom out to get the tagging to work

2. I cannot tag a back ground galaxy, etc while my cursor is inside a different tagged area. I have to create the new tag outside of the existing bubble and then move it into place inside that bubble.

Thanks!
    D.C.

Posted

• Doctor50 by Doctor50

So, I don't know where else to post this, but I'm having trouble telling apart star clusters. Could we get a colour less filter to help tell where there are high concentrations of stars?

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to Doctor50's comment.

I found looking at other people's collections of star clusters helpful. Once you get your eye in it's not too bad. There are still some tricky ones where I'm not sure but that's OK as everyone else's classifications will be taken into account . My collection is here if it helps but you can search the hashtag and find more.

Posted

• Doctor50 by Doctor50

Thank you so much!

Posted

• ccook67 by ccook67

I can't access any of my favourites 😦. I don't know why!

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

You should be able to access your favourites from both your profiles - the one via the classification interface and the one here via Talk. Are they both not showing favourites? Can you see your other collections on your Talk profile?

Posted

The "Recent" link from the menu at the top of the screen is not working for me. I have tried every project that uses this same version of Talk (Galaxy Zoo, Planet Four, Operation War Diary etc) and the link is dead on all of them. Anyone else?

Posted

And now it's working again. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• wesleysparr by wesleysparr

Is there anyway to track my progress on what i have marked

Posted

Anyone else noticed that Recents has not updated since 10 January? Just checking in case it's a browser thing.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I figured that it was just because nobody was leaving any comments.

Have you left comments on objects? Comments that haven't appeared?

Posted

Yep - there were lots a few days ago then they all disappeared back to the 10th! And today I get the "We've classified all the images" message which normally goes on refresh but maybe this time it's true?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm now seeing two posts from 3 days ago, and then the most recent from 9 days ago (the 10th). So there are a large number of posts not appearing?

And what do you mean, "usually goes on refresh?"

Just trying to make sure that I understand so I can submit a complete bug report. Thanks!

Posted

Sorry Darren I wasn't very clear. We are used to getting this message occasionally:

Great job everyone!
    We're out of data to classify right now.
    Sit tight while we load up some more.
    In the meantime, check out our other projects!

A page reload (or two) is required to bring up the next image for classifying. Now, however, it seems like we are really out of images as even after several page reolads I still get this message. I'm thinking that it must be the same for everyone else as there are no new posts.

Some of my newer comments have now appeared but I am still sure some are missing. I remember thinking I should comment on one of the Recents but when I came back to do so it had gone. And that was before the "no more data" message appeared!

Posted

So sorry, for not posting this sooner !

Yes, we really are out of images. But don't worry, a fresh batch is cooking and will be uploaded soon. πŸ˜„

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm going to hold off reporting this until we have some real fresh data, in case there's some connection.

If the Recents problem persists after that, then I'll report it ASAP.

I check this page every work day (and often on weekends), so please keep me posted once the new data goes live!

Posted

Ah - good to know it's probably nothing serious!

Here's to the next batch. πŸ˜‰

Posted

And we're back in business ! πŸ˜„

Happy hunting !

Posted

Oooh - lots of lovely new images. πŸ˜„

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yes! NEW DATA has been uploaded!

Sorry for being a little late on the announcement, but you clearly discovered it yourselves. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Milkman doesn't seem to be working. 😦

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to jules's comment.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll let the guy who built it know.

Posted

Thanks Darren!

Posted

The Milkman is back! πŸ˜„

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Always happy when I can get stuff done for you awesome people! πŸ˜„

Posted

• carmarie by carmarie

Hello, I'm not sure where to report typos, but I found one on the Science page. The caption for the fourth picture (the one about the galaxy, 2nd row on the right) says it's instead of its. "It's dust glows red too."

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to carmarie's comment.

Hello, I'm not sure where to report typos, but I found one on the Science page. The caption for the fourth picture (the one about the galaxy, 2nd row on the right) says it's instead of its. "It's dust glows red too."

Thanks for spotting that carmarie. We are waiting for some Milky Way data changes so that section may well be re-written.

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Re: image AMW00039o2. I joined this project only a few minutes ago. Already I have been given a repeat image to classify, after 8 minutes. This issue has been a recurrent one on Galaxy Zoo Bar Lengths. Check with them about it and about their efforts to troubleshoot it.

I see from your hashtag list that you have had this for a while. In that case I am letting you know it is still here.

Posted

Hi Mgorman,

Please note that the Milky Way Project is currently in between image sets and some archived images have been left up for educational purposes. You are welcome to classify them but please note that the classifications will not be used. There is a message on the Milky Way Project home page "Thanks to your hard work, we've actually run out of data and are displaying archived images." We hope to have some new data soon!

Posted