The Milky Way Project Talk

Out of images

• jules by jules moderator

Looks like we are out of images again! Hopefully there will be more soon. 😉

Posted

• ingram527 by ingram527

Any chance we can access archival data or take another look at images already studied? I have written a lab exercise for my 60 undergraduate students to use this data set as one piece of their learning about the Milky Way Galaxy, and the lab is scheduled to occur for the first time this coming week. Now I discover the data is inaccessible. It is discouraging to carefully plan out a semester around a few Citizen Science projects only to see the site offline when the time comes to use it.

We will reorder our lab schedule to get around this, cancelling the Milky Way Project lab altogether if necessary, but it seems a needless waste. Why not allow people to play around with archival data? Why shut down until new data sets are available?

Posted

Thanks for posting ingram527, that is very frustrating for you. I'll ask someone to respond.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I will get on this right away and see what we can do for you. Thanks for letting me know!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, we've gone ahead and released some completed subjects for educational use.

Let me know if this works out for your students, @ingram527 ... thanks for getting in touch with us!

Posted

• ingram527 by ingram527

Thanks very much! We've already adopted a new schedule for this week, but we will return to the Mllky Way lab next week.

I have developed several other labs, and missing data hasn't been a problem yet for any of those. However, occasionally, I do ask students to do some preparatory work and ask them questions based on the introductory material and tutorials you have associated with each project. When those change without any notice, it throws us off (I've had to massively edit labs at the last minute once or twice) also. The projects we ask students to participate in through our undergraduate astronomy courses are:

The Milky Way Project,
    The Radio Galaxy Zoo,
    The Galaxy Zoo,
    Disk Detective,
    Planet Hunter,
    SETI Live,
    Planet Four,
    Asteroid Hunting

Posted

• ingram527 by ingram527

When you get about 200 different users contributing measurements from TCU in a given week, that's our big Fall lab. For Spring, that course only has about 50 different users, but we expect it to grow.

Posted

Great to hear about the MWP being used for educational purposes. Thanks for sorting this Darren!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ingram527's comment.

Super awesome to have students participating... and super helpful! 😃

I'll keep an eye on those projects to try and make sure that they never have zero live data.

The only one I'm wondering about is SETI Live. Can you still use that effectively? The live element hasn't been up for a few months now.

Posted