The Milky Way Project Talk

Multiple hashtag words?

• HillBilly by HillBilly

NOTE: Everywhere in this post I use, for example, # discussion rather than #discussion . This is to prevent the post itself being tagged a bunch of random things. Please, when actually implementing these suggestions and thinking about what a post's code does, remove the spaces after my hashes.

I've noticed that some hashtags have multiple spellings, and for optimal searchability one might have to include all of them in one's post even where it might look awkward. For example, there is a # artifact and a # artefact hashtag. Someone searching for hashtag "artefact" will not find things only tagged "artifact", and vice versa. For example, look at this example post:

"This image has an edge # artifact ( # artefact ) ( # edgeartifact ) ( # edgeartefact )..."

Notice that in order to match "artifact", "artefact", "edgeartifact", and "edgeartefact", the page had to be made ridiculously messy. I think we need to either improve the hashtag system so that, e.g. # artifact matches # artefact as well and # artefact matches # artifact as well. If this system would be too hard to implement, then we need to pick a spelling and stick to it, making the post look more like this:

"This image has an edge # artifact ( # edgeartifact )."
    OR
    "This image has an edge # artefact ( # edgeartefact )."

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We've definitely talked about ways in which we can collate various misspelled hashtags going forward. I don't think we have anything in the new Talk build yet, but we are definitely still talking about it. Thanks for bringing it up!!

Posted