The Milky Way Project Talk

More info on interesting objects, please

• stevage by stevage

I'd appreciate some more explicit description of the interesting objects. For example, I still don't get what a "star cluster" is exactly: "If you see any of these beautiful star clusters please be sure to mark them. They can be crystal clear or possibly slightly obscured but we want to know about them!" The two examples both show a number of small blue stars - so is that what a star cluster is? If so, why not put "small blue stars" in the description?

Quite possibly, just having 20 or so examples rather than just 2 of each would be enough to train our neural networks...

Posted

• Zeroghost by Zeroghost

We are looking at specific bracketed spectra? Or, are there enhancements? I am curious. The red nebula is Hydrogen, right? The green is what? Molecular oxygen? I see no reflection nebula or know if what I see is all emission nebula. Love to get more imaging data.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to stevage's comment.

steveage - yes the small, blue clusters of stars are the star clusters we're after. More samples are coming. The thing is though - they all look just like the current two examples 😃

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

ZeroGhost: A couple of people have asked about the colours so I started a thread about it: DMW10009jb

Posted

• mabbenson by mabbenson

I'd like more actual Bubble examples - perhaps some 'this is NOT a bubble example'. After doing this for awhile, I feel I start seeing bubbles where there really aren't bubbles. It is helpful to recalibrate by looking at more examples. This is a really interesting project - one of my favorites!

Posted

• chairstar by chairstar

Hey all,

Hope you're all staying warm and dry this evening. I'm in South Central Wis, with a polar JET STREAM screaming thru.

Enough of the weather reports. I AM here to 2nd mabbenson's and steveage's requests, and ask one other thing.

Star-like objects- with reddish halos. Fuzzy red objects - or over exposed near by stars?

Thanks for the info too, ttrnrob.

Posted

• PattyD by PattyD

Yes, I have been going back and forth, marking and not marking what would otherwise look like a fuzzy red object, possibly with a star in front of it. Would like a final decision.

Posted

• chairstar by chairstar in response to mabbenson's comment.

Thanks mabbenson,

I'd like more examples of IRDC's, what galaxies look like, etc. also. And BTW- when I try to look at he example pictures in the tutorial, particularly ones that are said to have the tool highlightening, (curser over to show highlighting), they dissappear before the highlighting can go in.

Have you had this, or should I try to figure out who to PM about a glitch I'm experiencing?

Thanks mabbenson

Posted