The Milky Way Project Talk

tutorial

• tcgrove by tcgrove

As a nubie, it would be very helpful to see some fully marked up examples of screens to see what other people are seeing. The tutorial screen leaves a lot of nubulosity for each example.

Tom

Posted

• hmdurst by hmdurst

I agree. Some more examples of a wide variety of all the items we should be marking would be nice. I often find myself struggling to pick something out of an image where I am not sure there is anything to mark. Sometimes I think that the stellar bubbles are not well defined but they are there none the less, and those might be missed by many participants. I also seem to struggle with the star clusters as many images appear to be full of stars so close together that it could be perceived as one big cluster. And the dark nebulae seem to be troubling as well. Its hard to decide if its just an area with no gas and matter or if its a true dark nebulae. As I understand it the dark nebulae tend to look like "cracks" but again, sometimes its hard to decide. Because of all this confusion I also feel silly when my images end up covered in notations. Am I over-doing it? Should I just mark everything that might be something of interest just to be safe?

However, I love doing this! Its amazing to see these images, and a little humbling as well.

Posted

• Helice by Helice

I'm like you both; I love the project but am bemused by the tutorial. The examples are not clear or detailed, and having several examples of each type of object would be only logical. I also wish we could know what all the objects we aren't marking are: What are the big bright things? What might a galaxy look-alike be? What is the minimum size of a green knot or fuzzy red object? If there is a green or red cloud without a dot in it do we mark it as an object?

I often put the "dark nebula" box over areas where I can see nothing at all, or just faint blue dots, as well as "cracks" in the green gas even if there are stars or red objects in the darkness.

It awes me at night when I can see the Milky Way, knowing that the images I examine are up there, hitting Earth as I look up. Very inspiring!

Posted