The Milky Way Project Talk

Jet?

• KhalilaRedBird by KhalilaRedBird

The straight green line segment in the upper right quadrant originates in what I have been calling a small bubble -- although it could also be the way a star might be shown in the wavelengths of Spitzer. Could the green line be a jet of the star-forming material being ejected?

If so, is it possible that the many green knots I have found touching larger stars in many if not most images are short jets? Something specific is going on with the many green knots in those particular positions. There is one in this object, in the lower right quadrant.

Posted

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

that linear thing (i believe) is either a jet from a new, dying star, an ultraactive galaxy, or a black hole. if its not a jet then it may be a trail or wake left by a star passing through the nebula

Posted

i took a closer look and it seems that there is a very small green dot at the lines midpoint. am i the only one seeing this?

Posted

• KhalilaRedBird by KhalilaRedBird

The linear thing appears to be related to the planetary nebula (which did not identify correctly in the first post). I've seen lots more green lines associated with #planetarynebula since my first post. What I'm noticing now is the arc of brownish matter bearing stars below the green line -- about a quarter of a circle centered on a star that exploded."approximate center of nova":(30x30@236,727)"edge of bubble from nova":(95x267@65,569)"green ray/jet from center of planetary nebula to center of nova/explosion":(49x52@110,535)

Posted

i dont think that the line and the nova are related.

Posted

sorry i meant SUPERnova

Posted