The Milky Way Project Talk

RedBird's bright blue triangular star cluster

• KhalilaRedBird by KhalilaRedBird

In the right half, below center, there is a bright blue starry spot that, up close, turns out to be a triangular field of close-packed stars in the #intersection of three or more bubbles -- the first three providing the curved sides of the #triangle. I have seen much star-forming activity in the intersections of bubbles, but this is the first nice even not dusty, not active cluster I've found.

Posted

Update: GLIMPSE viewer shows the triangle as dead black in the IRAS/MIPS view and the IRAS view. http://www.alienearths.org/glimpse/glimpse.php?x=-0.4139&y=-0.1423&z=100&t=0
    I haven't found other examples of dead black in that view of the Milky Way, but I'll keep looking.

I would really like the opinion of the scientists on this one. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging around. Could it be a glitch in this tool's software and there really is no data from IRAS or MIPS? If this tool is missing data from one source or another, the area is red, not black or star-colored blue.

Posted

"RedBird's blue triangle at L=305.32704, B==0.63564 shows in GLIMPSE viewer as dead black IRAS/MIPS data":(113x76@182,574)

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

The triangle looks like an image artefact to me. We use the same data as the Alien Earths viewer, although our image colour combination is different. The image around it is beautiful though 😃

Posted