The Milky Way Project Talk

jet and black hole

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

i think i found a black hole. in the top center area there is a double sided jet/ plume. it is small and bluish i think its coming from a black hole

Posted

"jet plume":(55x42@68,460)

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

Though it would be unlikely that this is a black hole - there are lots of other sources of jets in our galaxy (e.g. young stars). I shall take a look at it and see what we know of in that area. Well spotted!

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

Link showing region in question: http://cl.ly/3V2p2h1y0I15063G1y3i

Link showing closeup of possible jets: http://cl.ly/1A3G2e1d2E250a3T2R0P

Posted

• Kerry_Wallis by Kerry_Wallis

Wow! That's so tiny! I would have just thought that they were 4 stars in a row hehe. I'm starting to wonder if I should take an Open Uni course, though I doubt it would be specific enough to enlighten me as to what's going on here!

Thanks for the feedback ttfnrob 😃 Let us know if you find anything listed in that area of relevance.

Posted

• Feylin by Feylin

Wow, that's really keen looking. I was gazing at the pic for minutes and still didn't spot it. And when I saw the jets I would have labeled them for myself as four stars, lol! 😕
    Really, I wouldn't have seen it!

Posted

• Jellyfrank by Jellyfrank

Gravitational lensing perhaps?

Posted

• nirmell by nirmell

well spotted indeed 😃

Posted

If it was gravitational lensing, mabye theres a hidden dark matter cloud there OR there is a black hole or _____(--> insert any applicable dense object) there.

Posted

• legoryan717 by legoryan717 in response to galaxywanderer's comment.

galaxywanderer
    i think i found a black hole. in the top center area there is a double sided jet/ plume. it is small and bluish i think its coming from a black hole

i don't see any black hole

Posted

galaxywanderer
    If it was gravitational lensing, mabye theres a hidden dark matter cloud there OR there is a black hole or _____(--> insert any applicable dense object) there.

THERE IS NO BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer in response to legoryan717's comment.

legoryan717

legoryan717

I DIDN'T SAY THERE WAS!!! I SAID THAT IT COULD BE ONE. Please look at how I specifically said that there could be something else causing the jet (or gravitational lensing) there.

Posted

galaxywanderer

galaxywanderer

galaxywanderer

I DIDN'T SAY THERE WAS!!! I SAID THAT IT COULD BE ONE. Please look at how I specifically said that there could be something else causing the jet (or gravitational lensing) there.

I only said there was NO BLACKHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

• Ian_Farr by Ian_Farr

Hi galaxywanderer. Please could you circle the object in question (using MS paint or whatever), and upload the picture to internet and post a link. As a relative novice to this site, I could use a helping hand with spotting objects of significance like the one you're describing. Thanks.

Posted

@Legoryan, if you can provide PROOF that it is not a black hole, then please do so. Otherwise, lets just forget this argument before it gets any worse.
    @Ian Farr: "Here is the jet in question. Click this to see. It MAY be from a black hole, but it is not likely.":(30x30@71,466). Also, here is a close up of the jet provided by ttfnrob: close-up view of jet plumes

Posted

• Ian_Farr by Ian_Farr

Cheers for that. Appreciated.

Posted

• legoryan717 by legoryan717

"Possible UFO!":(53x29@70,455)

Posted

"Possible UFO!":(30x30@70,463)

galaxywanderer
    @Legoryan, if you can provide PROOF that it is not a black hole, then please do so. Otherwise, lets just forget this argument before it gets any worse.
    @Ian Farr: Here is the jet in question. Click this to see. It MAY be from a black hole, but it is not likely.. Also, here is a close up of the jet provided by ttfnrob: close-up view of jet plumes

i can now see that the plume or whatever it is doe look more like two stars or two alien UFO's

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin in response to legoryan717's comment.

Hi all. I downloaded the images from the Spitzer science archives and did a quick search around this feature. It doesn't look like anything unremarkable. In close-up the "jets" are actually quite well resolved as 4 point-like objects. While the symmetry is a little odd, I do think this is just a chance alignment of 4 stars....

Posted

• legoryan717 by legoryan717 in response to skendrew's comment.

skendrew
    Hi all. I downloaded the images from the Spitzer science archives and did a quick search around this feature. It doesn't look like anything unremarkable. In close-up the "jets" are actually quite well resolved as 4 point-like objects. While the symmetry is a little odd, I do think this is just a chance alignment of 4 stars....

Provide the Proof, show us the close up image then!

Posted

Yeah, I'd like to see the close ups too.

Posted

• lessismoor by lessismoor

To me it looks like two bright stars next to two less bright stars or it might be four stars in different places all at different brightness levels just looking like they've aligned. If we could get to zoom in to make almost everything else there disappear we could find out what they are

Posted

• prabun by prabun in response to galaxywanderer's comment.

galaxywanderer

Such a symmetrical image, it is well known the Hubble captures multiple images due to gravitational lensing. Basically with out more study (new images to look at) I would guess that this a is a quadruple image of 1 start around a dense object. Why can't it a be a black hole? Those are known to be everywhere in a Universe but also known to be hard to find. Also what is known that even our regular star, the Sun, causes gravitational lensing.

In my humble opinion, 1 star, seen double on two sides of the dense unknown object. and not a UFO because that suggest there is an atmosphere of Air, to fly around in. hehe

Posted

• frostthehero by frostthehero

highly doubt it is a black hole. it would have much more mass around it

Posted

• Kaman_Graves by Kaman_Graves in response to legoryan717's comment.

i don't see any black hole

Ha, ha- they are pretty hard to see 😄

Posted

• BlakeMcCarren by BlakeMcCarren

I found a black hole too, can someone check it out for me? Thanks

Posted

• cchampagne by cchampagne

Man, how long did it take you to find that? The jets just look like four stars, but I guess the ends are just bright.

Posted