The Milky Way Project Talk

massive explosion, mabye a supernova

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

what the heck is this thing? it looks like some kind of explosion...."pretty obvious":(134x137@214,166)

Posted

• sdewitt by sdewitt

Very interesting. While it COULD be a supernova, I have my doubts. In a supernova, generally you can't see the expelled gas cloud until after the supernova has faded; not always the case but most of the time. It may be a very bright 'foreground' start heating up a dust cloud behind it. I say this because the colour indicates the dust/gas is warm, not hot, but you would need to look in different parts of the spectrum to be sure

Posted

• galaxywanderer by galaxywanderer

i know it probably isnt a supernova, but i dont quite know what to make of it.

Posted

• Ken_Koester by Ken_Koester

It's a lensing artifact, complicated by the dustcloud. A supernova would be radiating in the 10's of 1000's K; the red in the these images is about 120K. (There isn't even any green, which would be about 800K.) But the central source is quite intense, what with the dot in the center and all that. I can't decide if the cloud is in front or behind, although I lean to the former.

Snarkhunter

Posted