The Milky Way Project Talk

Possible Black Hole

• CatherineMartinelli by CatherineMartinelli

Could I please get a second opinion upon the dark circular feature in the upper left of the red galaxy at roughly half way up and to the left of the image. I have compared it to some other pictures of black holes that do not reside in the center of their respective galaxies and it has a similar appearance.

Posted

• mm42 by mm42

i dont know maybe dark nebula ? Mystére

Posted

• HelloandHi by HelloandHi

Is the red mass even a galaxy? I thought it was gases or something

Posted

• CatherineMartinelli by CatherineMartinelli

I'm not certain if it's a galaxy, due to the spiral structure my astronomy teacher and I both thought so, but I'm open to any explanation.

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

The fuzzy red object you're seeing in the centre left of the image is not a galaxy but a region of warm emission from gas or dust - much more local in other words. I checked around the coordinates and at the centre of the emission lies a bright star with spectral type O5, called BD-11 4620 (the SIMBAD entry is here). While I can't find too much extra info on this particular object, O5 stars are typically a few ten times more massive than the sun and roughly ten times hotter. You can't see the star itself in red though it should just show up in our green channel at 8 microns. Stars this hot and luminous have a far-reaching impact on their local environment, not just through the radiation they produce but they also tend to shed material from their outer layers at high velocity. They're very rare and lead only short lives compared to their lowly Sun-like brethren. I'm not sure where the funky morphology of the 24 micron emission (in red) comes from in this particular object though - I've sent an email to the science team to see if anyone's seen similar types of objects.
    -Sarah Kendrew (science teamer).

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist

Get a closer view here: AMW0000zkx

Posted

• jme123 by jme123

that is a dark nebula

Posted

• Gazing40 by Gazing40

This is in the milkey way or own galaxy, it the red spiral fog was a galaxy, it would be much smaller.

Posted