The Milky Way Project Talk

EGO

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi everyone ,I am back after a long break . Ian shocko61 . What does EGO mean , in the marking context ? thank you.
    I have seen thousands of photos of space and am still awed at the beauty that I am seeing here.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi shocko61

Here's what's in the guide about these EGO's

Guide

EGO EXAMPLES
    Extended green objects (EGOs) are small, irregular blobs of green. You may see them near bright stars, but they can also appear more isolated. They are quite rare and they are a special find: in fact, they were first identified in the images from this survey. There is much work being done by researchers to find and understand these objects.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi ElisabethB, thank you I found it after you told someone else about the guide word , cheers, Ian shocko61

Posted

• JCoop by JCoop

So, Elisabeth, the green stuff near stars are EGO as well? I thought those were artifacts, but I'll start marking them as EGO if that's the case.

Posted

I'm really not sure if these fuzzy green blobs/rings near bright stars are EGO's or artifacts. I was just copying what is in the Guide ! Will try and contact the science team ! 😄 .

Posted

Got a reply from Rob

enter image description here

So the green left of the bright star (left) is an artifact. But it probably will get lots of classifications as an ego as well. I'll tag them as artifacts from now on.

Posted

• JCoop by JCoop

Thanks, Elizabeth. Maybe we should find an example of this and post it so it shows up in the Recent section for people to see?

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi and thank you ElisabethB and JCoop that has sorted a problem for me . cheers . Ian

Posted