The Milky Way Project Talk

Artifact?

• IrvSet by IrvSet

Hello, I'm having a little trouble figuring out an object in this image. If you look at the bright/foreground star in the top left, you'll find a green, diffused "cloudy" arc to its right.

Now, I am aware that bright stars tend to have green artifacts around and between their diffraction spikes (like the one in the center of the image), but the object I mentioned seems to be a bit different. It's rather large and it seems a bit too far from its closest bright star, compared to the artifacts I'm used to seeing. I was tempted to mark it as an EGO, but it also seems rather faint and spread out for one. I have checked the guide, but I didn't find anything all that similar to what I'm seeing.

Do you think this is an artifact or something else? I'm not overly experienced yet, so this might be a very basic question, but if that's the case, I'd rather be sure for future reference anyway 😃

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

I see what you mean. It looks like an extended artifact to me but if in any doubt it's fine to mark it as an ego and let the team decide. 😃

Posted

• IrvSet by IrvSet

Alright, thanks for the help! 😄

Posted