The Milky Way Project Talk

Is this Gas Infalling to a massive gravity Well?

• Nobias by Nobias

In AMW0000wne It looks like gas from a shell is being accelerated into a an object. There is a star nearby but it seem lik ethe gas doesn't quite look right to be falling into the star, Possible Black hole? I can't be more sure without knowing the distances involved.

AMW0000wne

Anybody have any ideas?

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

The gas shell seems to be diverted near the star

Posted

• frenchy124 by frenchy124

That looks like a comet or other body moving thru the gases its putting out a very bright heat signature, and seems to have a trailing gases behind it, there is a very faint red streak behind it!

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

if you look close there are possibly TWO lines of gas. Both end at the star - or near it. This may be an optical illusion (the two parts are probably just illuminated edges of one solid column of gas) - but it breaks the curve of the larger slice of gas that it is a part of; with no gas above or below it. Thats what makes me belive the gas is being pulled in (and quite strongly too)

Posted

• Nobias by Nobias

Does anybody know how to find out the coordinates of these images and what the image size is?

Posted

• hubblesfriend by hubblesfriend

I believe that it is a trail of gasses from some activity such as a young star. I am not sure though, especially because of the two trails of gas. Because black holes are so uncommon, I doubt that we are dealing with a black hole. I do not think that it is a comet. It looks exo-solar to me. I have no idea how to find the coordinates for images. The trail on top might just be a nebula though. Another possibility is a nova (not a supernova), but I think that it is not bright enough. This is interesting though...

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

Hi all. This is quite a close-in view of the region around (l,b) = (20.0, +0.13), where l is galactic longitude and b is galactic latitude. More on the coordinate system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system if you're interested. While there isn't much known about this particular bright source you're seeing in the R of the image, it's associated with a bright mm dust clump, which might suggest some star formation activity is ongoing (but I don't really know that for sure). This particular feature is actually on the outskirts of what looks like an active star forming region that's littered with young stellar objects, dark nebulae and HII regions. I'll flag it as a potentially interesting region to write something more detailed about for the blog with some more images, if I find the time....

In general you can see the coordinates that an image is centred on in the link. After the GLM_ tag are two numbers, in this case 02000+0013. The first part of that is l, i.e. 20.00, and the second (with the + or - sign!) is the latitude, in this case +00.13. There's always two decimal places, so count from the right to see where the decimal point goes. The images are all in the coordinate range bordered by l = 295 -> 65 and b = -1 -> 1; so that can guide you in interpreting the coordinates.

Posted