The Milky Way Project Talk

Data release 1 and paper - got questions?

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

Hi everyone. As Rob wrote a couple of days ago, we posted our first Milky Way Project science paper to Arxiv (http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.6357) yesterday and have posted our first data catalogues online at data.milkywayproject.org, and also on FigShare (http://figshare.com/articles/Milky_Way_Project_Bubble_Catalogues_(DR1)/90147). The paper is in a "near-final" state, we have some minor edits to complete in the next week or so before sending it back to Monthly Notices of the RoyaL Astronomical Society, where it will be finally published.

I wanted to open a thread for questions about the paper or the data that's available, as I imagine some of you would like to discuss what's there or find out more. Fire away! We'll do our best to respond.

Posted

• Fezman92 by Fezman92

I am really happy you guys put in the favorite ten images and I didn't know were are scored.

Posted

• ttfnrob by ttfnrob admin, scientist in response to Fezman92's comment.

Fezman92
    I am really happy you guys put in the favorite ten images and I didn't know were are scored.

The scoring is really interesting. We need a way to promote the bubbles drawn by the more dedicated, and therefrom ore practiced, users without removing all the bubbles drawn by the most casual users. We haven't fully achieved that yet. The heat maps (available for download soon) use far more of the original user drawings than the catalogue. This was partly a computational limit. I have new, improved data reduction methods now that incorporate ALL the bubbles drawn entirely in both the heat maps and catalogue but they take days to run across the whole field so I'm still optimising.

Glad you like the inclusion of the favourites. The one with the yellow ribbons is a total surpass to us on the science team. An amazing image. I am planning to put the Top 50 most-favouritred images on the authors/contributors page - which I am preparing today.

Posted

• Kapybara79 by Kapybara79

Congrats, scientists... 😃 And what about deep space objects? Will you write "catalog" or "list" of founded deep space objects (non Milky Way objects) from photos? I wonder whether we have discovered previously unknown galaxy? 😃

Posted

• Fezman92 by Fezman92

I can't wait for that future paper that you mention on the yellow balls.

Posted

• Wojteg by Wojteg

I just looked at graphical explorer and I see many circles with no bubbles, at least what I understood from tutorial.
    For example: when image is scroll to coordinates -41.11,0.05, I see big circle on the middle of my monitor and 2 small one near, at one o'clock position, but I do not see any indication of bubble.There is many circle like that, even without any green colors,just on dark background.Like here: -16.38,0.32 (small circle next to bright star)

Posted

• skendrew by skendrew scientist, admin

@wojteg - well, we make no judgment as to what's "right" or "wrong". I agree that sometimes I don't see the bubble either, but the fact that it's in our catalogue means that at least a number of people did see something there. In the paper we talk about a few quality metrics we defined that allow us to judge how "strong" a bubble is, how certain we can be of its existence and its location.

Posted